Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Calling in Sick


Let's face it, when you're a stay at home mom there is no such thing as a sick day. You can't call off, or leave early to catch some shut eye. Nope, you have to figure out a way to keep your child entertained, and safe, while trying to relax and get healthy. The past couple of days I have been under the weather. I've had sore throat, sinus headache and just felt BLAH! For me this was difficult because I hate to be at home. I love to go go go. My son is the same way, he seems to get cabin fever when at home too long. This gave me a bit of a challenge, because all I wanted to do was rest. Then it came to me!

Normally I don't care for my son to watch too much TV, I just don't like the idea of him sitting there all day when he should be outside playing. However, most evenings before bed I'll put a movie in so he can wind down a bit. So the past couple of days I put in some dvd's to watch while I relaxed on the couch. I also brought a lot of toys into the living room to be sure he would not get bored. This "movie day" idea was nice for me too because it seems that the movies he loves the most I also seem to really enjoy.

Number 1 for us is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The most recent one with Johny Depp. I actually purchased this movie about a month ago for only $4.75 at Target. My son, who is only 21 months old, will sit and watch this movie from beginning to end. He even laughs at some of the funny parts. How does a 1 yr old understand the jokes? Beats me. But he loves this movie. Every time the Umpa Lumpas sing, my son hops up and starts dancing. When each song is finished, he completes his dance by applauding himself. I enjoy this movie as well, I mean come on, it's Johny Depp! It's funny, warm, and it teaches our kids not to be spoiled brats, because the spoiled brats never win. I also like the original version, but I have yet to find that one on sale. I would love to own that one, I'm sure my son would love it.

Number 2 for us is The Prince of Egypt. Another musical, what can I say, my son loves to dance. This movie is the story of Moses which we've all learned in Sunday school growing up. The story is put into a nice cartoon musical to entertain children. It's got an all star cast, Michelle Pfeiffer, Sandra Bullock, Val Kilmer, Jeff Goldblum, Danny Glover, Steve Martin and Martin Short. The songs in this movie are beautiful from beginning to end. I absolutely love this movie. This is another one that my son will sit and watch the entire thing without getting bored. It entertains him, he loves to dance to the music, and he's also learning the story of Moses.

To wrap this up I'll just add the last movie we love to watch. Jonah, A Veggie Tales Movie. Veggie Tales of course added their own twist of the biblical story of Jonah, which makes it quiet entertaining for young ones. Again, it incorporates lots of music which my son loves. It starts off with a bunch of kids trying to get to a "Twippo" concert and all goes wrong. They're all arguing and bitter towards each other. Keep in mind that all the characters are some sort of vegetable. Then while at a restaurant to call a tow truck, they sit in a booth next to "the pirates who don't do anything", who hear the arguing and decide to teach these kids a lesson about compassion by telling them the story of Jonah. It's really cute how they set this movie up. My son loves it, and even laughs at their little jokes. Again, I don't understand how he knows what they're talking about, but he does. We have a wide variety of Veggie Tales movies in our home, they are a great "go to" when you need to pop something in that will keep your child entertained.

If you haven't seen any of these movies I definitely recommend renting them. They are great family movies for all ages. My husband even enjoys them, and he's more of the Die Hard kinda movie guy. Thanks for listening. Hopefully I will feel better soon and be able to take my son out to play hard to make up for lost time.

6 comments:

KDC Events said...

I know what you are talking about!! Mom's never get the day off. Another great kid movie: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything- also a Veggie Tale Movie.

carissa said...

your blog is presh! your family is adorable. it is hard being mommy when you're sick! i remember posting something about being sick on facebook and a friend of mine (who is not a mother) said, "well, at least you don't have to go to work!" ha ha ha! i told her that being a mom is a lot like work... especially considering its a 24/7 job! i hope you get better quick!

Jen McD said...

I don't know if we have seen ANY of those movies. Thanks for the ideas. Can't wait to get out and play with you and Logan soon!

Amy Prikazsky said...

All of those movies are great! I love Charlie and the Chocolate factory! I just found your blog and love it! I’m a new follower!

Amy[www.theprikazskys.com]

ThingsToDoWithKids said...

Thanks Everyone! I have an extra copy of Jonah(still in it's original packaging), thinking of doing a give away.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Feel better soon!

Post a Comment